Thursday, April 20, 2006

Objects in the Rear View Mirror

I will miss these days...

Did you ever have one of those moments when you just know you're at the end of something really significant? In life, I think it happens a couple of times and when it occurs, you find yourself temporarily below the bottom of the abyss. For me personally, I remember a few very well.

First was my graduation from grammar school. It wasn't really the school part as much as the athletic part. We were a very successful basketball team. Our final year we had a record of 39-1 (in grammar school)! I feared moving to the next level and not being the god I had become.

The second was high school. Here again, I wasn't going to miss school, but I was (for the first time in my life, literally) going to be away from my very best friends. These people knew where all the warts were and loved me anyway. I feared the real world contained no such characters.

The last one I'll bore you with is a job I had. It was with a company named Reliance. I met some of the greatest people there. We were almost like a family. Even though the company went bust and staying would have been career suicide, it was still tough to walk out that door and leave that group forever. Turns out that I see some of them to this day, but as I feared, it's not the same.

Well, yesterday was the newest in a long line of those moments. As I sat with my best friend, something in my mind clicked and I thought, "suddenly, it's real." My best friend is moving on. This is a good thing, and I am very happy for, and proud of, him. I am certain he is doing the right thing and that the success that awaits him is limitless. My feelings are strange on many levels. First, for some reason I am having a harder time with this than when I moved 3,000 miles away to California. Then, I somehow knew we would always be the same, this time, not so much. As much as I hate to admit it, I think it has something to do with my buddy's other big decision to scale back on his alcohol consumption. That was always our strongest bond. Sure, we had music and golf and the beach and shows like the West Wing, but those were always shared with some very impressive drinking by us both. Again, I think he is making the right decision and I will support it as best I can, but I cannot help feeling that the end of something big is near.

I love you man, but I fucking hate ends...

Who knows, maybe they are "closer than they are".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home