Thursday, May 25, 2006

Adventures in Grilling

A man and his lighter fluid are not to be messed with...

So I bought a charcoal grill this spring. I had previously used propane, but it was time to go "old school". The weather has been really crappy, with rain and coldness, so I have only used the grill three times. One of those times was last night and man, did I nail it!

The menu was simple brilliance; corn on the cob, chicken breast and London broil. I also made sauteed spinach, but that has nothing to do with the grilling experience here. The chicken breast was marinated all day in a Worcestershire sauce. And the London broil in an red wine and oil & vinegar sauce. Yummy. I do not boil my corn; rather, I wrap it in foil and cook it solely on the grill. Double yummy.

Anyway, the point here is that I have mastered the art of the charcoal brickette pyramid to start the blaze. Generous squirts of lighter fluid make for an even, consistent burn. After a 30 wait, I disperse the brickettes along the bottom rack. Ten more minutes and it's time for the food. The key to grilling the chicken is to flip it periodically. This is an absolute no no for meat. So I need to have the patience of a saint, but the eye of a hawk. When conditions are perfect, flip the meat for the only time. Last night, a bull's eye!

As I set the London broil aside (you should do this fro 5 to 10 minutes before you eat), the red juices began to seep. "This could be good", I said knowingly to myself. Upon slicing said beef, I was proven right. Oh the beauty of it. And the taste!

Not sure why I told you that, but whatever...Golf tomorrow!

Song of the day: Ba Bump, by Black Eyed Peas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home